How OneUp has adapted to virtual events over the past few months
It’s hard to remember but before March I’d never even heard of Zoom let alone thought about putting on a virtual event. The plan back then was to try and put on as many events as possible in our lovely offices, but of course by the end of March that option was off the table, so we decided to start holding virtual (or online) events.
Initially we ran into issues, specifically Zoom bombing - what’s Zoom bombing? Jerks joining calls with the intent of ruining them basically, one of the first events we held was ruined due to this - but lesson learnt, we quickly sorted that for the next event.
The other thing we struggled with was to do with the types of events we were putting on. We found that some events weren’t received as well as we’d thought, resulting in a few sparsely attended events.
After some re-thinking and brainstorming we decided to let other talented professionals from lots of different industries share their knowledge at our events. Meaning we could share even more with our growing community. We’ve met tons of interesting and informed people who have taken the time to share their thoughts, and we’re so grateful.
The main thing we’ve learnt is to listen to you, our audience, and put on the events you want. So if you’re interested in checking out some of our expert panel events you can watch the recordings below.
Previous OneUp events
Some of our previous event recordings can be checked out here:
- Small Biz Photography from home with Auws Al-Gabourey founder of HyperFilm and Dominika Scheibinger, founder of Eighty-Six Studios photography agency.
- Social Media for Start-Ups with Ruth, the founder of Swallowtail Social. Social media and Etsy coaching for small businesses, Marijn, our in house Marketing Exec and paid social media guru and Karolina Ba, founder of Theenk Tea.
- Content Marketing Panel with Kerry Harrison, founder of We Are Tiny Giant, Kirsty Northover from Kirsty Northover Photography and Sophie Torry-Cook our team’s Content Executive.
- SEO for Small Business with Alex Dewey Senior SEO Specialist at Liberty Marketing Ltd and Serena Pearson SEO & ASO Manager at Kaizen, content marketing agency.
- PR for Small Business with Mark Pooler, Founder and Editor of Global Media & News Publisher, TMSP PR Agency, Public Speaker coach, Marina Plummer, Digital PR Manager at Kaizen (Content Marketing) and Lianne Barnard, PR & Marketing Consultant at Red Panda PR.
- Branding for Small Business with Jessie Culverhouse, Head of Brands & Marketing at Signable & OneUp, Darrell Irwin, CEO/Founder of @cre8ionstudios and Genesis Brands and Trudy Avery (#LogoLady), Founder of Avery Creative.
We also run a fortnightly Connect Up networking event. Join us for a coffee and a chat!
What’s next for OneUp events?
Long term we want to be able to hold in person events again, but with the current situation who knows when that will be. So, for now we’ll be staying online with lots of events upcoming. You can find out for yourself what we have planned on our events page here.
Although the events are online, we have reopened our offices for daily hotdesking. Let us know if you would like to come in and check out the office space, you can book a free trial day here or alternatively drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.